- Kaspersky announces Top 5 FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 scams.
- The experts say it is much more challenging to identify these scams.
- The five scams include Ticketing Scams, giveaways, merchandise scams, crypto NFT and flights and accommodation scams.
Various scams have been capitalizing on FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. Kaspersky, the cyber security solution, has released the list of the top 5 cons in the World Cup.
The experts analyzed the phishing websites from around the globe targeted to steal users’ banking data. The researchers found various fake pages offering tickets and event merchandising to match streaming services and numerous giveaways. Various NFT frauds are also included in these.
The researchers have pointed out the top 5 scams, which include-
- Ticketing scams- as Qatar 2022 World Cup only offers digital tickets, the risk of phishing has increased. Numerous pages are showcasing and promoting the sale of fake tickets, leading to huge scams.
- Giveaways- various phishing pages were found to be quite generous, with huge giveaways offering a chance to win two tickets to the finale.
- Merchandise- another method used by fraudsters is collecting the user’s data to send the official FIFA Merchandise. The users must enter the data and transfer money to make the purchase.
- Crypto and NFT frauds- Exploiting the popularity of crypto and NFT in recent years, various scams found on the internet require the users to bet on the matches and win cryptocurrency in return. All the user needs to do is enter the crypto wallet’s credentials, leading to money loss for the users.
- Flights and accommodations- Various phishing pages also provide hotel accommodations and flight tickets to Doha. The users are prompted to enter their payment and personal details, which leads to data and money loss.
Olga Svistunova, a security expert at Kaspersky, says, “With this World Cup, scammers got very creative as the scams are much more challenging to identify, and the amount of scams has also increased.